Please join us in congratulating the JICS representatives to the South Carolina Independent School State Literary Meet! Over 500 students gathered together to compete at the SCISA (South Carolina Independent School Association) statewide Literary Meet. There were multiple competitions of various types, which included students allaying their fears and speaking in public or using critical thinking skills in written essays under the pressure of time. All of our Lions represented JICS very well and we are abundantly proud of their willingness to step-up and conquer their fears! With 500+ students competing from across the state, the accomplishment of a 4th place or higher finish is wrought with difficulty! Two of our JICS students took home that accomplishment in their respective division! Congratulations Abby Buckingham and Gabe DeWalk!
Below is a list of our JICS students and the event in which they competed:
- Elementary Story-Telling: Tanner Honeycutt, Hensley Carroll, Faith Thompson, Romeo Thompson
- Elementary Poetic Recitation: Li-Li Thornley, Gracie McNeill, Jack Mcleod, Liam Buckingham
- MS Boys Oral Interpretation (Humorous) - Zeke Mesenbourg (Selection: The BFG)
- MS Boys Extemporaneous Speaking - Darren Frasier (Topic: Should the US Government ever limit free speech?)
- MS Girls Extemporaneous Speaking - Lillian Smith (Topic: Should all Americans be required to volunteer in the community?)
- MS Girls Oral Interpretation (Dramatic) - Abby Buckingham (Selection: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe) 3rd place finisher!
- MS Boys Written Essay - Gabe DeWalk (Topic: Does Hollywood influence the morals and values of young people?) 4th place finisher!
And a special thanks to our own Mrs. Mollie Marsh for sponsoring the JICS Literary Meet team!